Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Deep Conditioning Low Porosity Hair


SOOOOO…. I've been peeping some natural hair boards and noticing a lot of my fellow low porosity curlies are doing the most when it comes to deep conditioning. I've seen people deep conditioning before they wash which is perfectly ok but I've also seen lots of people saying they leave a deep conditioner in for an hour or more sometimes overnight. That can be detrimental to the hair since you risk over moisturizing which many hair care forums have stated is just as bad as having excessively dry hair and can lead to breakage. What I'm noticing is that low porosity curlies believe that the hair is overly saturated with water after washing so the deep conditioner has no where to go. I know this to be true from experience so I have figured out a way to deep condition directly after washing and keep my hair moisturized all week long


Here's what you need:
old cotton tshirt/microfiber towel
deep conditioner of choice
plastic cap/bag
hooded dryer/ blower dryer with bonnet attachment 
cheap rinse out conditioner


  • After cleansing and detangling squeeze out as much water as you can with your hands
  • Take the tshirt/microfiber towel and blot even more of the excess water out your hair should be wet/damp but no longer dripping
  • Apply your deep conditioner of choice (I apply in 2 sections and twist them into 2 buns on my head) and don that oh so sexy plastic cap/bag
  • Sit under the dryer for 20-30 or however long the instructions state (longer doesn't mean better)
  • Remove the plastic cap/bag and allow the conditioner to cool (about 10 min for me since I do not like my deep treatments to be any longer than 30 min)
  • With you favorite rinse out conditioner smooth downwards over each section (additional detangling can be done) and rinse with cool water making sure you smooth the hair downwards 
I've been using this method for about 3 months and I can see improvement in how my hair responds to deep conditioning. I really hope this helps my fellow low porosity curlies.
-XO, Jasmine

No comments:

Post a Comment